Monday, May 31, 2010

Just when you thought credit-card-stolen-identity was....

Well, I am almost (and I stress almost) at a loss for words.

I have just received a call from my bank asking me if I had someone else's DBS Alitude Amex card in my wallet!
No, I cried, how could I?!
But on closer inspection, I did indeed have a certain Walter Untuk's card in my wallet (his name has been changed to protect his anonymity) - oh, how kind am I!?

I was at a gay dance party on Saturday (MUSE) at the F1 pit stop lounge centre, here in Singapore - and looking back it was mayhem - and just because of the men. It was a chaotic calamity of a bar and upon reflection I'm not surprised I got Mr Untuk's card in error.

What is even more astounding, is that he had used my card once and I had used his no less than FOUR times, before either of us noticed. In fact, I didn't even notice at all...! Duh...!

I quite fancy myself as a Mr Untuk....exotic Indonesian, no?

I agreed to let the said gentleman call me to arrange a card swap...never even noticed how handsome he was...just concerned about getting my card back.....think of all those lost airmiles - now on his account...! TSK TSK.

I wrote him a cheque for the balance of the transactions and he left.

The questions this throws up are multiple and mesmerising.

1. Why didn't I notice I had Mr Untuk's card?
2. Why didn't he notice earlier he had mine?
3. Why didn't CK Tang's notice his name perhaps couldn't be Darren Smith?
4. Why didn't Sakae Sushi, a 2nd ramen restaurant and Zara not notice that I couldn't really be Walter Untuk?

For those who follow my credit card shenanigans in Singapore closely, you may recall that about 7 months ago I was the victim of card theft which resulted in US$12 000 being fraudulently charged to my Citibank Mastercard. Well, I heard the other day that the thief (a stupid 22 year old - what a waste) was sentenced to 27 months.

Makes you think - I could have ended up in the dock myself -- and my Mr Untuk may have not come to my defence.

1 comment:

  1. I'de add a question no'5 following no'4 - which is:

    "Why did posh Darren Smith allowed himself to eat at a place like Sakae Sushi and be seen wearing Zara clothing in the first place?? was it the opportunity to impose as a "Mr. Untuk" that gave DS the legitimacy to mingle with the common middle class people ?"

    And if my assumption is right - it makes you the main suspect! You actually enjoyed being Mr. Untuk for a couple of days...didn't you ??!!
    a

    ReplyDelete