Sunday, May 2, 2010

It's amazing what you get away with in Singapore...signing out!

Followers will know of my terrible experience when my credit card was stolen from my home and wasn't covered under Singapore credit law...Well that's changed and now cardholders are covered after the initial S$100 liability. So there's progress.

Well, I thought so.

Recently, I decided to put the new rules to the test.

One would think with a fundamental shift of responsibility from cardholder to merchant this would have focused the mind - after all if the card is stolen or fraudulently used and the cardholder is no longer liable, then that must assume the merchant picks up the tab, right?

One evening I thought I should try my super-hero credentials off.

I nonchalantly signed my credit card slip as Batman and waited to be challenged...well I know I kind of resemble Val Kilmer, but even then, I realised I was pushing it. I mean, Batman isn't real, is he?!?!

Not a sausage of questioning....just asinine acceptance of my new heroic identity - despite the name on the card quite clearly stated Darren S Smith.

The burden of responsibility doesn't seem to have shifted - YET....

Wait for the big court case where the merchant is shown liable and negligent - and then, perhaps then, things will change.

Bye for now -- need to go and pull my briefs over my trousers and save a vulnerable citizen somewhere.....

1 comment:

  1. hey superdude, don't forget to send the pic when you have your costume on ;-) But I wouldn't bother with the signature... they won't notice.

    ReplyDelete