Friday, June 19, 2009

Zipping through Bombay

Having the privilege to travel so much with work and for pleasure, means I have amassed quite a bit of taxi experience - not driving myself you understand, but rather being "chauffeured" around in varying levels o comfort and style.

The video shows my near-death experiences at the hands of a Mumbai-auto-rickshaw driver.




They hug the vehicle in front like a Siamese-twin and nip in and out of gaps in the traffic like woodlice scampering around in search of tasty morsels discarded by some larger being. The driver is invariably bear-footed and often crosses one leg over the other while driving - and I use that term loosely.

It's really quite exciting as they dodge the traffic to the side and indeed sometimes on-coming. The noise assaults your ears and the dust stings your nostrils, but it's great fun. I did survive to reach my destination and hence able to post this blog - it will be nice to get back in the Comfort Taxis of Singapore at the airport at Changi - the luxuries of it all sometimes seem too easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment