Monday, June 15, 2009

Back in India - love it

Landed back in India last night very late and a little jaded; the Singapore airlines flight was a little delayed. This was mitigated by the fact that although I was flying economy class, I was fortunate enough to be on the Boeing 777-ER which has the new seats. They' not bad at all: nice reclining options, great entertainment on a very nice screen and a civilised 3-3-3 configuration to boot.

The first amazing sight at Mumbai airport was a snake of about 50 trolleys winding and slithering their way from one side of the arrivals hall to the other. The people traffic trying to exit the hall came to a complete stand still while this wheeled serpent, pushed by at least 10 men, wound its merry way through the patiently waiting throng. This silent acceptance was in stark contrast to what was waiting for me outside.

No sooner had I found my hotel car pick up man and the honking attacked my eardrums; it's incessant, constant, rude. One honks to say "I'm here"; one honks to say "Get out of my way"; and one honks, it feels to even pass the time while you wait for the traffic to move. But I knew I was back in India for the first time for about 4 years and I was loving it.

The smells confronted my nostrils almost as quickly as the horn-blowing kicked my hearing. Not offensive smells, per se; but certainly not rose perfume either: just a sweaty mix of the Bombay tropics with dust and humanity.

I was in India and glad to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment