Thursday, July 5, 2012

It's the 4th July, and....?

Someone asked me yesterday if the Amercians were at work.

I replied, "Why?  Is today a special day?"  The irony or even mild sarcasm in my voice was lost on my colleague.

The fact that the 4th of July is such a globally recognised date fills me with acute annoyance each time this fireworks-laden "celebration" comes around.

We, Brits, mishandled a great territory and the revolution that ensued was not only justified, but appropriate in the wider context of self-determination.

How many of my readers appreciate the significance of 23rd April for English folk or 9th August for Singaporeans the world over?

Nonetheless, the panoramic assumption on the part of the United States citizenry that we all should somehow join in the merriment seems peculiar at best and at worst, tantamount to giving the old colonial masters the "finger".

This in itself is the sweetest irony, since we Brits know the insult is more punctilious perhaps when doubled up with the forefinger.




So whether you celebrate with one finger or two - I suppose I can wish my over-the-pond friends a belated (through clenched teeth) "happy Independence Day" and get on with perfecting my Victory signals.

Enjoy the picture - it's the best I find (sic).

1 comment: