Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Disliking the disliking of things



We know that Facebook is becoming ubiquitous – if it’s not there already by modest definitions – and the vernacular is being enriched almost weekly by new sayings and references that are very FB specific.  It’s very common to hear or read, “friend me on Facebook”, “I unfriended the bastard”, “checking in” – when there is no hotel, plane or other usual checking-in going on, “I was facebooking last night ...” and quite simply “liking”.

This last example of linguistic embellishment – or pollution, depending on your receptiveness to neologisms (which as a footnote, is itself a borrowing from French in 1772) – was recently given its rather obvious antonym on Facebook.

Installing the “dislike” application was painless in itself and I felt empowered and liberated knowing that I could now dislike as well like posts from people – with impunity. 

It had been quite perturbing to “like” a negative article or bad piece of news, for example – even though the liking was admiring of the sentiment of the said post or article as opposed to liking the fact the gays had been beaten up in some Caucasus state or that Whitney Houston had just died and the eulogies were streaming in.  You get what I mean...

But no, – some things are not that straight forward are they?

I now find myself hovering over the “dislike” icon wondering whether I should click or not.  The negative effect on someone’s post if it’s misinterpreted is far heavier than a well-intentioned but badly taken “like”.  Even if I genuinely dislike someone’s point of view, or sharing an image that displeases me, is it worth the potential upset or confrontation, I ask myself.

Funny how something that seemed like a great and logical idea is not filling me anxiety and doubt.

Maybe someone will have the balls to “dislike” this blog entry....let’s wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment