Saturday, March 3, 2012

Giving things up and sarcastic comments

Recently, I posted on Facebook a lengthy list of abstentions I was embarking on for Lent - I must confess I did miss the start of it and had to be reminded by Baxter (my indomitable better half).  Don't think I can blame being in Kenya either; it being such a religious country; it just slipped under the radar.

So better late than never is a good axiom in which to take refuge on this occasion.

Every year I give up several things for Lent - it's a healthy self-sacrifice that really does help one appreciate what one has.  If I were to give up chocolate, for example, there wouldn't be much of an effort on my part as I don't really eat the stuff - but usually I try to stop things that really  matter.  One year I gave up all alcohol and suffered immensely.  Since then I've limited by penitence to subsets of alcohol and allowed myself an indulgence or three during the lenten period.

So this year, although tardy, I decided to give up the rather mixed bag of red meat, poultry, whisky, I-Tunes purchases, caffeine in tea & coffee and Facebook posts.  Naively, I posted such on FB itself and wasn't quite prepared for the barrage of counter posts on the subject.  Not being able to reply of course, I was a little constrained and mute.

So I resort to my blog.

A few points I would like to clarify - in a non-threatening, tongue-in-cheek, on-hobby-horse kind of way.

Firstly, sacrificing something for Lent, is not for God per se and indeed not for anyone else really.  It's a symbolic act of solidarity with Christ's suffering and a test for oneself to see if we come even remotely close to what He endured while in the desert before returning to Jerusalem to be ultimately crucified.

Secondly, various people commented on the items that were missing - other concoctions and alcoholic beverages - well as I said above, a complete denial of all things potato, juniper, hop & grape-induced will never happen again.  You try giving them ALL up - and I shall applaud you.

Thirdly, to Jesus giving up Facebook - I think if He were exposed to it, he'd be as addicted as the rest of us and we'd be "liking" his miracles and sermons with gay abandon.

Lastly, some were emboldened and even relieved at my "posting-silence".  Well, if you're reading this, you'll see my venting just took another avenue.  Where there's a will ....

And talking of will - I'm sure I will get through Lent as I've done most years and be be thankful, proud, humbled and grateful for it.

Go on, even if you're not religious, give something up for a while - it feels, tastes, looks, satisfies so much better when you eventually go back to it.

See you all on Facebook in a few weeks' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment