Thursday, March 4, 2010

A harmless game os some evil immoral consipracy

I go for weeks and post nothing and then bombard readers (if you're still out there) with two posts in almost as many minutes.

Innocuous, innocent, educating, stimiulating, challenging, thought-provoking -- and OK, OK sometimes a little risque in the words that are allowed, but is Scrabble really worthy of being blocked by bodies deeming it unsuitable for public consumption?!

You can imagine my dismay when, being tired of facebook updates, I turned to my faithful board game for some grey-matter-gymnastics, only to find the application blocked. Why you may scream, I certainly did. I post here the explanation given:

"Doha International Airport


Your access to this URL is currently restricted due to a blocking rule.
Blocking rule: Block URLs of Lifestyle

The URL you are attempting to access has been blocked. Organization policy does not allow access to this activity. "


It's a "lifestyle" thing?! Do they, in Doha, know I'm gay already? Does increasing ones vocabulary through sparring with fellow wordsmiths endanger the state? Does a proficiency and love of the English language threaten the future of Arabic?

I'm lost - really lost as to why something as generally bland as Scrabble would be blocked. My assumption is, of course, that this is a specific block and not a general one - or how else would they know what to block or allow on facebook?! But let's give Doha International Airport the benefit of the doubt and hope it's a general block and Scrabble is just an innocent by-standing victim of cyber policing gone crazy.

I will be posting an email query to Doha Interational Airport and if I get a response will let you all know.

A thought just occurred to me: perhaps they've seen the words already on my Scrabble boards and blocked "Darren Smith" personally -- nah - can't be....when I reflect: I'm 99% certain there are no "c*nts", "f*cks" or "w*nks" on my boards at the current time...so it can't be personal - Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment