Saturday, January 30, 2010

First class - a real wow

I had the great fortune to travel first class recently all the way to the USA. I was excited as as dog with two proverbial appendages (as we almost say in Cumbria).

It started in line with my expectations as the taxi pulled up outside the private first class driveway for Singapore Airlines at Changi airport. This isn't a slip way or side road, it really is a private driveway with lush foliage to shield your eyes from people traveling in other classes. I was then invited to the Private Room; intriguing I thought, wasn't the first class lounge already private enough? But oh no! This inner sanctum is a room within a room within a lounge within the airport -- I was so within, I thought I'd never get out.

Table-service breakfast was brisk and efficient and what a change to sit in a lounge and consume ones food complete with white linen table cloths. The scrambled eggs and chicken sausage were delicately presented with a simple garnish and some essential ketchup. It was incredibly sumptuous and a wonderful start to my first class experience.

(I should point out at this juncture, that I didn't actually pay for my flight, and am quite glad I didn't - more on that later. But it has been hinted at, in not too subtle a way, that my constant updates on facebook about my front of the plane journey, seem a bit arrogant or elitist - well I suppose they are and I should say get used to it. But for the record, I used my SQ miles to get the flight - and honestly at 164000 return I didn't think it was a bad deal.)

Anyway, the beginning was awesome - but could the rest live up to this fabulous start?

Boarding was stress free and I was heartily welcomed on board. I was sitting in 2F and envied the passenger in B1 so close up the 747's nose, he was almost popping out the front of the aircraft. The cabin was full to the gunwales and the leading stewardess positively beamed as she told me "business is good!". The seats are the old first class and not the revamped 380 suites - but the seat is very comfortable. The blanket I was given was a little old and one felt it had been washed so many times the Givenchy hand that had designed it a very long time ago was now wrinkled and calloused.

This, I must confess, soon evaporated to a distant memory when I was served Krug and then later - well it was mid-morning by this point - Dom Perignon 2000. Sublime tones in the air of toast and almonds.

The satay we were then served was tough to say the least -- very disappointing and the traditional Japanese kaiseki was average. But service won the day and I left the plane at LAX a very happy traveler. Little did I appreciate the horror that is called customs and "homeland security" that awaited me as I transferred from terminal 8 to terminal 5 and then hacked my way through line after line to luckily catch my connecting Delta cattle-class flight to Atlanta. That wasn't too bad at all, actually - but I did arrive in the home of Coca Cola wishing I had more caffeine in my system than I did. I was knackered.

What a delight to check into the W Downtown Atlanta with it hues of purple, soothing vibes forcefully filling the lift and a bed so downy-soft I almost immediately fell asleep the moment my weary head touched the pillow.

As I dream of my W Hotel in Times Square - which was where I staying in New York on my return stop over, I shall sign off and leave you all with this thought for my next entry: the return journey on Singapore Airlines, really was a let-down...and let me tell you why...

2 comments:

  1. Indeed - why Atlanta? Well that's where our client (IHG) was. Believe me, it wasn't by choice... ;-)

    ReplyDelete