Saturday, January 10, 2015

Half way round the world and back


28,500km: that’s how many I’ve done this Festive Season; not on foot of course, and I dread to think about my carbon footprint, but...

Staggering and impressive; an eye-watering 9 flights on 7 different carriers, spanning 3 alliances, 1 budget & 1 non-aligned airlines; visited 4 cities (or towns); and proceeded through passport control on 3 continents.

It wasn’t your average Christmas / New Year break, really.  Thanks to airmiles, however, it was doable at relatively reasonable cost – and booking well in advance (for my Norwegian and BA sectors, at least) saved me a fortune.

My first journey was perhaps the most complicated in the sense that I skipped aboard airlines from SkyTeam, Star Alliance and one world.  But rather surprisingly and definitely welcomed, was the ability at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) with Kenya Airways, to check my baggage all the way to Miri, Sarawak, Borneo, Malaysia – a long list of geo-locations, but I like to be specific. 

I must confess I was a tad sceptical that my luggage would appear at the other end – and since I was headed for a wedding was also rather anxious.  My suit, tie, cufflinks, collar-stiffners and other “wedding accoutrements” could end up at my destination hours or even days after the nuptials had been completed.

But they were there – at the exact same time I was.  Amazing.  Thank you KQ (#kenyaairways).

Baju melayu, samping & songkok
The wedding was a Malay affair with a million blooms, elegant females in hip-hugging frocks and dashing men in baju melayu or batik shirts – a burst of colour, putting Notting Hill Carnival to shame. 

And yet, I was only there for a couple of days before driving to Brunei to catch my connecting flight in Bangkok on Thai Airways to Oslo – yes, you read it correctly, Norway of all places.

Eschewing the balmy C35° of Borneo, I stepped out of Oslo airport to collect my hire car with a brisk C-2° shooting up my ill-prepared nostrils.  They had needed half-an-hour to de-ice and warm up my vehicle and I was glad they had done it.

I grappled with the left-hand drive and manual gears, and headed south on the E6 towards Oslo centre – or sentrum as we say in Norway.

I was in town in about 30 minutes and began to get my bearings.  My parents joined me later that afternoon, so I had a little time to cram in some culture.  The Munch Museum was for me.  The famous and infamous (for being stolen at gun-point back in 2004) painting The Scream was hankered for.

I entered the gallery only to find the canvass I’d braved the Oslo slippery ice-fondant streets for, was being restored.  Bloody typical.  
Screaming for The Scream


Leaving the gallery, after succumbing to the obligatory mug and fridge magnet purchases, I headed back to the airport to collect mam & dad.  I was, unexpectedly, rewarded with a night sky show of the aura borealis – albeit a tad too far south and far less spectacular than in Trondheim or somewhere equally arctic-circle-ish.

Norway was super: great food, charming people, impeccable infrastructure & clinical efficiency.  It was, simultaneously, possibly the most expensive place I’ve been to on planet earth.  Move over Tokyo, Singapore & New York, Oslo will rape your wallet quicker than those pesky Vikings ever did in Northumbria all those centuries ago. 

Still, we enjoyed it – and it’s somewhere I’d love to see in the summer; the snow over Christmas was perfect, crisp and Bing-Crosby-ish – just as it should be.  ;-)
Welcome to the snow

We then proceeded to Cumbria and “home”.  I put it quotations, merely because it’s “real” home – whoops there I go again.  And I now officially have three of them.  Sigh.  Or should that be LOL?!

It was great to see the fells, the lakes, my school-friends, my family and the windmills.  Cumbria is awash with them – and these huge white giants, waving their arms about are a fixture on the landscape – so much so, you hardly notice their whirring purring presence.
 
Keswick and me
Finally, it was off south to the most impressive, fantastic, compelling city on earth: London.

My other half and I were scheduled for a front-row seat for the pyrotechnics to usher in 2015 and we couldn’t wait.  Following dinner, we scrambled outside to brave the plunging temperatures to get a ringside view.  And we were not disappointed. 

Perhaps the brightest, best-coordinated, most raucous show of fireworks I have ever seen burst above the river Thames, reflected in it and reverberated around it.

Whizzes, screeches, whirls, flashes, sparks and more lit up the London sky – so vividly and with such incandescence, you could read your newspaper in the nocturnal luminescence.  Oh, that rhymes – how quaint.
Just opposite the London Eye - eye-watering!


Selfridges, Peter Jones, the King’s Road, Regent Street, Carnaby Street – all saw far too many purchases.  While a theatre treat on New Year’s Day to see the new and provocative production of King Charles III, was especially wonderful.

We ate Italian in Knightsbridge, Indian in Fulham, Chinese in the West End, Gordon Ramsay in Battersea and English fayre in Piccadilly.  Friends and merriment were bountiful and the New Year started with a bang – as it’s supposed to I guess.

As I sit in the First Class lounge at Heathrow, about to travel “home” to Nairobi [thanks (again) to my other half] sipping a beautifully chilled kir royal, I’m thankful in so many ways and on so many levels. 

What a whirlwind Yuletide I’ve had; what a mesmeric hailing in of a new year; what a splendid marvellous cacophony of friends, family, loved ones, experiences and more I’ve had.


Thank you 2014 for being rather splendiferous and watch out 2015 – you have a lot to live up to.  
I rather think you will!

No comments:

Post a Comment