Sunday, December 8, 2013

Blast from the past

I recently received an invitation from a long lost colleague with whom I worked when I was at Cable & Wireless - when the company was a great monolithic carpet of telecoms coverage.  Alas, now it's been hoovered up by Vodafone and is no more.

I have kept in touch with many from those halcyon days of internet bubbles and crazy start ups - most of which ended up in the dustbin of risk capital.   But I did lose a few on the way.

It was about 2-3 months ago, I had a thought about one particular colleague, J Hendricks - yeah almost like the famous guitarist, but different - actually very different.....  Then I failed to do anything about it.  And it was just this week that J actually got in touch with me via LinkedIn.  The myriad of options we have to connect, reconnect and stay in touch these days are invaluable.

We connected and started to reminisce a little over email.

Before I knew it he sent over a picture from one of our business trips to Milan way back in circa 1998/9.  I posted it on Facebook and invoked a tsunami of likes.  I was a mere 28 or so and the youthful glow was evident - and not just in my rather bold orange plaid T-shirt that I was proudly sporting.

What a beautiful surprise.  I don't even recall the photo being taken - and I certainly didn't have a copy of it.  So it was pleasant indeed to receive it.

And so I got to thinking, there must be so many non-digitised pics out there and we don't go to thte trouble of scanning them and preserving them for eternity on FB, Google, Smartmug, Flickr or Tumblr.  We ought.  Yes, we ought! 



I do have another very good friend (from school days) C Stevenson, as she was then, who delights, and occasionally horrifies, us ex-Netherhall-ites with photographic memories of sixth form gatherings or on-stage (no exiting left) shenanigans as we rendered Fiddler on the Roof immortally destroyed with our shambolic efforts at acting and singing.



But most of us, I suspect, have an attic full of Kodak paper-ed images just waiting to be uploaded and subsequently downloaded. 

So my call to you - is do it....get scanning and zip, PDF, archive, upload and share all those wonderfully embarrassing pictures - and in some cases like the pic of me (which is clearly not a selfie) they may be rather flattering also.

Thank you Mr Hendricks.!

1 comment:

  1. Have you changed?
    You still act and dance sometimes, don't you? :-)

    ReplyDelete